Friday, March 12, 2010

My official review of Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

It sucks.

It wont work with after market cables. Give it enough time (3 months or so...) and it wont work with shimano cables. Tuned up chopper's bike, shifting was horrible. Took a GORE cable from my new sram force group. Its fine. Give it a few weeks tho, im sure it will need more adjusting. Keep in mind this is after the 7900 quick link debacle that i had already fixed months earlier.

I ask people "If you got 3 groups to choose from, why choose the heaviest/most expensive?" They tell me, "dura-ace is like an old friend, i go with what i know". I can respect that, but, at what point does the old friend become the guy who's been crashing on your couch for the last 4 months?

My beef isnt with shimano, its with this particular incarnation of dura-ace. You have to have a top end shimano group? Get Di2.

No comments: