Saturday, November 15, 2008

the cycling illuminati...

i was informed on friday, by a P.E. teacher who will remain un-named (we'll call her Roy Birkson) that she was impressed (although by the look on her face i think she meant annoyed) by the group i had been on a ride with the previous evening. As to weather she might happen upon a future similar ride, she seemed even more annoyed and quickly disengaged from conversation.

Im not fast. If i was in the story of the tortoise and the hare, i would be a distant 3rd.

I have the bike handling skills of a cataract stricken, thumbless orangutan.

If i have an asset to my cycling game, i think its lasting power. I have no problem coming in 20th for the rest of my life as long as im having a good time.

However, if i can crack the code to this bicycle secret society, maybe, just maybe i will see some podium action before i cash my last check. Perhaps i can sneak my way onto future rides with the big dogs. I just have to convert my work ethic into speed somehow.

now that been said, i think i will be breaking my teeth on some mountain bike action in the forthcoming season. All that remains is:
decisions
decisions
decisions

2 comments:

Joy Joy said...

Wrong, wrong, and you finally got it right on the last bike.

Since Thanksgiving is over for me now, i can show face on "the rides". But really, to be part of the crew, we are more than bikes my friend, we are "bros". you didn't know it, but the car ride back from whatever ill-fated cross race that was, with CP and myself, that was your initiation.

Well done grasshopper.

feedingthefire said...

one more bike!? We should hang it above the kitchen table as a center piece.

I like the second one, it's pretty. I mean cool, since "pretty" isn't a good adjective for a bike.
And you're not THAT slow, gosh!